• Please do NOT PM me for support. For login data or problems/questions not intended for the public use the "Your private forum".

Done SEO2 questions/feedback/requests

rfc0001

XenForo License
After using the add-on for a few days, some questions/feedback/feature requests:
  1. Ability to default Facebook OG image to first image in first post?
  2. Ability to select an attachment in the post for the Facebook OG image
  3. Ability to whitelist/blacklist follow/nofollow for specific domains globally
  4. Ability to specify follow/nofollow for first post only (others use XF default) - e.g. I want to allow follow for the first post (the content), but not any random link a users submits in a reply post
Thanks!

au lait

Administrator
Staff member
XenForo License
Ability to default Facebook OG image to first image in first post?
Screen_20180816125746.png

Ability to whitelist/blacklist follow/nofollow for specific domains globally
You mean external link? then -> https://xenmade.com/xenmade-addons/link-management-hl2.22/

Ability to specify follow/nofollow for first post only (others use XF default) - e.g. I want to allow follow for the first post (the content), but not any random link a users submits in a reply post
I don't understand.

Ability to select an attachment in the post for the Facebook OG image
Nice idea!

rfc0001

XenForo License
Perfect, thanks!

The suggestion you didn't understand was I was assuming SEO Tools sets the the rel=follow/nofollow on every link on the page when you select follow/nofollow in SEO Tools, rather than just set it in the page meta tag, however I'm guessing that it actually is doing the latter. I assumed the former, since obviously there is a inter-relation between the two, since if you say follow in the meta tag, the links are still rel=nofollow (XF default for every external link), search engines still won't follow them. Can you confirm by setting follow in SEO tools you are just seeing follow metatag for the page are the links still rel=nofollow (XF default)? If this is the case, you really need to use this add-on in combination with an add-on like your link management to whitelist specific domains/urls, correct?

rfc0001

XenForo License
I don't see this in Options > SEO2 or individual thread SEO Options. Is this in a later version or am I missing it somewhere?

Here is the latest version I have installed:

View attachment 3909

Note, that Support link is broken
OK, I found it in ACP > Forum > Node settings. That's really hidden away and I would have never thought to check there. I was expecting these settings to be in Options (global) not set at the individual node level. I want OG:image to default to first post for all nodes... is that possible to add to options, then can be overridden at forum level?

rfc0001

XenForo License
The suggestion you didn't understand was I was assuming SEO Tools sets the the rel=follow/nofollow on every link on the page when you select follow/nofollow in SEO Tools, rather than just set it in the page meta tag, however I'm guessing that it actually is doing the latter. I assumed the former, since obviously there is a inter-relation between the two, since if you say follow in the meta tag, the links are still rel=nofollow (XF default for every external link), search engines still won't follow them. Can you confirm by setting follow in SEO tools you are just seeing follow metatag for the page are the links still rel=nofollow (XF default)? If this is the case, you really need to use this add-on in combination with an add-on like your link management to whitelist specific domains/urls, correct?
I did some testing and confirmed SEO2 is just adding robots meta tag for follow/nofollow. The individual links on the page still all default to nofollow, therefore only setting the meta tag on the page will have no effect. You might want to clarify this since I'm not sure everyone knows all external links in XF are rel=nofollow by default and may think setting this setting in SEO2 will allow robots to follow links, which it will effectively still not since nofollow is set at the page level and link level and XF defaults all the links to nofollow. Thanks!

rfc0001

XenForo License
BUG: when SEO add-in is disabled, you get the following error when posting:
  • XF\Db\Exception: MySQL query error [1364]: Field 'seo' doesn't have a default value
  • src/XF/Db/AbstractStatement.php:212

au lait

Administrator
Staff member
XenForo License
BUG: when SEO add-in is disabled, you get the following error when posting:
  • XF\Db\Exception: MySQL query error [1364]: Field 'seo' doesn't have a default value
  • src/XF/Db/AbstractStatement.php:212
should not be deactivated :):eek:o_O:p:cool:
Will be fixed in the next version.

au lait

Administrator
Staff member
XenForo License
The suggestion you didn't understand was I was assuming SEO Tools sets the the rel=follow/nofollow on every link on the page when you select follow/nofollow in SEO Tools, rather than just set it in the page meta tag, however I'm guessing that it actually is doing the latter.
Yeah, that's it! Any link would be more ideal. But it is almost impossible, this would mean too many query.

el=nofollow (XF default for every external link),
This add-on does not handle external links
This add-on is only for the XF itself and therefore internal links. Everything that is external is fulfilled by another add-on.

Note, that Support link is broken
fixed

OK, I found it in ACP > Forum > Node settings. That's really hidden away and I would have never thought to check there. I was expecting these settings to be in Options (global) not set at the individual node level. I want OG:image to default to first post for all nodes... is that possible to add to options, then can be overridden at forum level?
It may be unexpected. But it's the only place. Since you want to set SEO for all threads in a forum.

In the 1.9.0 version there will be a Global setting - in the Settings!

Screen_20180817083022.png

This will possibly appear next week. Depends on the Add-On testers.

What is "profile page" refer to in this setting:
Will be renamed! This means the member page (Profil-Page). eg https://xenmade.com/members/rfc0001.519/

Screen_20180817083414.png

What does this setting do?
Click it and have a look at the settings... :)

First: The settings were separated from the XF core settings
Screen_20180817083653.png

The settings are there to influence a little more individually which Thread NoIndex receives. According to a variety of rules.

rfc0001

XenForo License
This add-on does not handle external links. This add-on is only for the XF itself and therefore internal links. Everything that is external is fulfilled by another add-on.
I now understand what it does (only updates the page meta tag), which is fine, but meta follow tags only apply to external links, so the above statement isn't really accurate. I think you are saying it doesn't apply tags to any links (internal or external). But it absolutely influences external links.
That 404 add-on came in handy! ;)
In the 1.9.0 version there will be a Global setting - in the Settings!
Awesome, thanks! A global setting is what I would expect/save me a ton of time (I have a lot of forum nodes)
Will be renamed! This means the member page (Profil-Page). eg https://xenmade.com/members/rfc0001.519/
No problem, it was fine how it was, I just got confused as to it's purpose since I was expecting a global setting for follow/nofollow index/noindex in the options and thought this might be that. Now that I know it's really the profile page, it makes sense.
Click it and have a look at the settings... :)
Yep, figured it out after posting, but couldn't edit or delete original post due your forum's settings ;)

xenForum